Home

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Old Fashioned Cake Doughnuts

I have been on the hunt for the perfect doughnut recipe that I could tweak and conform to be gluten free and still taste good and have a normal texture.....Well after a lot of trial and error, I think I finally came up with it!.....I do not use white sugar so finding a replacement for that can be difficult....I opted to use Natural cane sugar and Coconut sugar combined and it wasn't even noticeable.....I also used Bob's Red Mill baking flour that I added some xanthan gum to, which I always add to my gluten free flours to keep things together....I also made these cinnamon~sugar doughnuts (my favorite!)...Also buttermilk is called for in the recipe , which I didn't have, so I added a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to 2% milk, but you can use the milk of your choice (even almond milk  with the vinegar added would be fine). You will also need a donut pan for this recipe.....Here is what I did...Enjoy!

 
 
INGREDIENTS
 
2 Cups Flour (gluten free)
1/2 teaspoon Xanthun Gum
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 Cups sugar (I used 1/2 cup pure cane sugar 1/4 cup coconut sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used 2% + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar)
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons oil ( I used olive oil)
+ more sugar and cinnamon for coating
 
*NOTE*
If you do not need these to be gluten free just use regular flour, omitting the xanthan gum
You could also use regular sugar
 
 
here is the flour I used
here are the sugars I used
 
 
 
 
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425
 
Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl stir together to combine and set aside
In another bowl add the eggs milk and oil and whisk
With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix to combine until flour disappears (do not overmix)
Add the batter to a gallon Ziploc bag (I add the bag to a large cup for easier filling)
 
Meanwhile spray your donut pan with non stick spray
Snip the corner of the bag and pipe into donut pan in a circle motion filling almost to top of pan
 
 
 
Smooth batter out and place pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes, don't overbake
by touching with your finger it should spring back
You should get 10~12 donuts out of this recipe
When done I add hot donuts to a bowl that I put cane sugar and cinnamon mixed together to coat
 
You can store in Tupperware or a large Ziploc bag
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment