Home

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Clam Chowder Soup (gluten free)

Our family just loves Clam Chowder soup.....But I never really thought  about making it, until I saw a recipe for it and it looked quite simple. My next thought was how do I make it gluten free?.. and will it still taste good?.....So I thought I would give it a try, and I am so glad I did!...I will be making it all the time now. My husband even said it was better than our favorite place we would always get it at. Now if you don't need this to be gluten free just replace the gluten free flour with regular. And I have to tell you the longer this simmers the better it gets. I made it early in the day and then brought to a friends house for dinner ( my gluten free friend loved it)  refrigerating in between. So next time I make it I am thinking I can put it all together and then keep on low in the Slow Cooker....I will keep you posted on how that turns out. Well here is my version of it...If you are not a fan of clams you can add 2 cans of corn and have corn chowder....You can also add a can of corn to your clam chowder if you like...I may do that next time...Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

4 slices of bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion (chopped)
5 ribs celery diced
4 carrots diced
1/3 cup gluten free flour
 salt and pepper
1 teaspoon ground thyme
juice of the 4 cans of clams
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (I used 1 Knorr boullion cube with 1 1/2 cups water)
2 potatoes diced
2 cups half and half or milk (I used half and half)
4 cans minced clams (drained)
can of corn optional

DIRECTIONS
1. In a colander with a bowl under it drain the 4 cans of clams reserving the juice and set aside

2. Slice your bacon then add to your Dutch oven cooking until almost crisp


3. Add the onion, celery and carrots cook until translucent

4. Add the flour,  salt, pepper and thyme and stir and cook a little more
5.Add the clam juice and chicken stock, then add the diced potatoes
6. Bring to a boil then you will need to simmer this until potatoes are soft
7. Then you will whisk in the cream, next add the clams and stir, simmer a little more. It is ready now or you can simmer until you are ready for it.







CLAM CHOWDER SOUP

Yield: 8
Author:
If you love Clam Chowder...why not make it yourself...My recipe is easy enough for anyone to make...Impress your family and friends...My family loves this soup!!

Ingredients:

  • 4 Slices of bacon..cut into 1/2 inch or smaller pieces
  • 1 Medium Onion chopped
  • 4 Carrots diced
  • 5 Ribs Celery diced
  • 1/3 Cup Flour (gluten free if you like)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground Thyme
  • Juice of 4 cans of minced clams
  • 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth or stock (I used 1 Knorr chicken boullion cube with 1/2 cups hot water
  • 2 Potatoes diced
  • 2 Cups half and half or Milk (I use half and half)
  • 4 cans of the clams you drained

Instructions:

  1. In a colander with a bowl under it drain the 4 cans of clams reserving the juice and set aside
  2. Slice your bacon and add to a dutch oven or large Pot and cook until almost crisp
  3. Add the Onion, Celery and Carrots and cook until onions are translucent
  4. Add the flour, salt and pepper and thyme and stir...cooking a little more
  5. Add the clam juice and chicken broth then add the diced potatoes
  6. Bring to boil then bring down to simmer until potatoes are soft and tender ..stirring often
  7. You then whisk in the half and half next add your clams and stir...simmer a little more...It is ready to serve now or you can simmer until you are ready to use
  8. This also works well if you make ahead and reheat the next day!
Created using The Recipes Generator

No comments:

Post a Comment