Home

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Acorn Squash w/ Apple Stuffing (gluten free)

One thing I always missed being Gluten Free is Stuffing!!......So a couple of years ago I decided to try to make my own, I found this Tapioca bread at the grocery store, so I cubed it up , toasted it and made my stuffing out of it, It turned out really good!.....So when I saw this apple stuffing recipe I wanted to try it and stuffed in an acorn squash it made such a nice meal....My husband actually called it a pleasant dinner. He really enjoyed it!.......So you could take any stuffing recipe you like, prepare it with these gluten free bread cubes and not have to miss out on the stuffing for the Holidays!.....Actually when I make it with my traditional stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving some people actually chose it over the regular!.....Here is what I do...Enjoy!


 
INGREDIENTS
 
2 Acorn Squash
 
+
 
 
STUFFING RECIPE
 
3 Tablespoons Butter
1 small onion (diced)
3 celery ribs (diced)
1 granny smith apple (peeled and diced)
1 cup dry cranberries
4 Cups cubed and toasted bread (I cubed and toasted the whole loaf of  theTapioca loaf..you will have extra you can save)
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 cup chicken broth + more if needed
here is the bread I use (I stack and slice both ways to cube) it is very dense so it is perfect for this
 
DIRECTIONS
 
Cube loaf of bread place on a cookie sheet and toast in 350 oven until browned
remove and set aside
 
Prepare squash
I heated in microwave one at a time about 2-3 minutes until soft enough to cut in half
scoop out seeds drizzle with olive oil  and place on a cookie sheet flesh side down
bake at 350 for 20 minutes
 
Prepare stuffing by melting butter in a dutch oven or large pan add onion, celery and apple
cook until translucent add cranberries, spices and bread pour broth over and mix together
 
Spoon stuffing into each squash half , add a pat of butter on top of each  then bake for another 20 minutes

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment