Home

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Braised Short Ribs (slow cooker)

Well lately for some reason every time we go out to dinner and there have been Short Ribs on the menu I have been ordering them!.....There is just something about this comfort food that made me want to try and make them myself....after researching a lot of recipes this is what I came up with......I don't know if my husband was just being nice, but he said they were the best he has ever had!...So I guess I will be making them a lot more often!....Here is what I did...Enjoy!

 
 
INGREDIENTS
 
6 whole short ribs (cut into 3)
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil +1 Tablespoon butter
 
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cloves garlic minced
 
2/3 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons agave nectar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Liquid Amino's (braggs)
2 Cups beef broth
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
 
2 Tablespoons cornstarch (divided)
 
sauce ingredients
 
DIRECTIONS
 
1. Cut ribs into thirds and trim any excess fat off the edge. Salt and pepper them
 
2. Add oil and butter to fry pan and add the ribs, in batches if you have to...brown both sides and add to crock pot when done...leaving the juices in the pan.
 
3. Add chopped onion to the pan and cook about 10 minutes add the wine and cook 5 more minutes add the minced garlic and then the rest of the sauce ingredients at the end whisk in 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch before adding over the ribs in crock pot
 
4. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours
 
5. When done sauce may be a little oily, ladle out a couple of ladles full of sauce into a saucepan and heat on medium and add 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch whisking until thick, once thick add this back to crockpot, this will give you a nice rich gravy.
I served over mashed potatoes with a side of glazed carrots!
 
**Note**
ribs do shrink a lot when cooking, you can add more than 6 if needed
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment