Home

Friday, September 30, 2016

Strawberry Pretzel Jello (Gluten Free)

I have heard about and seen this dessert for a while now......Every time I saw it I wondered if I could conform it to be gluten free and with less sugar. I finally decided to give it a try and I am happy to say it was a big hit!!....The first time I made this I used coconut sugar mixed with the pretzels and it was fine...but the second time I made it I used brown sugar and needless to say we liked that a little better, after I mixed the  crushed pretzels with the melted butter and brown sugar and baked it for 10 minutes that alone was good enough to eat by itself!...It may be a future recipe with some nuts added to it for a pretzel toffee!....Well back to this recipe....I also used a pint of fresh strawberries that I had cleaned, sliced and froze...but you could buy frozen strawberries.....This may be a little time consuming to put together, but it is well worth it!....The flavors of the salty, sweet crust with the cream cheesy filling topped with the sweet and tart Jello is just heavenly!.....Here is what I did....Enjoy!!
 
 
INGREDIENTS
 
CRUST
4 Cups Pretzel Sticks (Crushed) I used Gluten Free and
 I added pretzels to a gallon Ziploc and rolled with a rolling pin
1 Stick Butter (melted)
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
 
FILLING
8 ounces Cream Cheese
2 Cups Whipped Topping (cool whip)
1/2 Cup Natural Cane Sugar (or sugar of your choice)
 
TOPPING
2- 3 ounce boxes of Strawberry Jello
2 Cups Boiling Water
Frozen Strawberries (2 bags or your own frozen)
 
 
DIRECTIONS
 
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Melt butter in a glass bowl add brown sugar and stir well..add over crushed pretzels and mix
3. Pour pretzel mixture into a sprayed 9 x 13 dish and press evenly into pan with a glass
4. Bake for 11 minutes until lightly toasted and set aside to cool
5. In a bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar until combined
6. Fold in the whipped topping
7. Spread filling evenly over cooled pretzel crust, covering to the edges
8. Refrigerate while you prepare Jello
9. Add Jello to a bowl and add boiling water, stir until dissolved and mix in frozen strawberries and stir to dissolve and then add that bowl to the fridge for 20 minutes
10. After 20 minutes remove both dishes and add the Jello and strawberries over the cream cheese
11. Refrigerate until set about 1 to 2 hours
When you are ready to slice you can top servings with whipped topping
 
I filled a 2 cup liquid measuring cup twice  with the pretzels for the amount needed
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment