Home

Friday, September 26, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Puff Pastry Biscuits

One of my most favorite comfort foods has to be chicken pot pie!,,,,I have never attempted to make one from scratch, it always seemed a little intimidating to me. I am not very good with pie crust!
So I thought a soup might be more up my alley, I decided to take some puff pastry dough and cut it with a biscuit cutter and then bake them to serve along with this soup, but I think that pre made pie crust cut the same way and baked would be a good also!....The choice is yours...Here is what I did.....Enjoy!!












INGREDIENTS
 
2 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion (diced)
2 carrots (diced)
3 celery ribs (diced)
2 large potatoes (diced)
 
2 Cups chicken broth
2-3 cups diced cooked chicken (I used rotisserie)
1 cup frozen peas
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
salt and pepper
 
4 Tablespoons butter
6 Tablespoons flour
2 1/2 Cups milk
 
1 Package puff pastry (2)sheets thawed according to package

 
 
 
DIRECTIONS
 
Remove puff pastry from package and cut out circles with biscuit or cookie cutter from each sheet, place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden...set aside
 
In a Dutch oven or large pot add 2 T butter ..Saute onion, celery, carrot
and potatoes for 3-4 minutes
Then add broth ,chicken breast, peas and spices
bring to boil then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes
stirring occasionally
then in a another saucepan add 4 Tablespoons butter on low add flour and stir with a whisk until mixed then add milk and whisk until smooth add this mixture to broth and vegetables,,,continue to cook and stir on low until sauce thickens
once thick add to a bowl and top each serving with biscuits


***NOTE***
The next time I made this I used corn starch instead of flour and less butter for thickening
I used 3 Tablespoons of butter and 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch to the milk and it worked fine.....we also have used Hungry Jack Grands biscuits instead of puff pastry!
 
 
 















  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment