Home

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Steamed Mussels

I have to say Steamed Mussels have become one of my new favorite things to order when we are in Florida!!,,,I love trying all of the different versions, but of course I have my favorite places to get them!....And I must say this recipe is pretty close to the ones I love!!...And its nice to be able to make them for yourself and your guests at home. When I went to my fish market to get the mussels they didn't have any fresh in the case, but they did have them vacuum sealed and frozen, I didn't know you could get them this way! The gentleman explained to me that they were already cooked and you throw them in the pot frozen and steam 5-7 minutes. They turned out great!,,,Its nice to know if I can't get fresh mussels that I can keep the frozen ones on hand!,,,Well here is what I did....Enjoy!


 
 
INGREDIENTS
 
2 pounds mussels
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot (minced) or 1 small onion
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
2 Tablespoons dry parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
pinch red pepper flakes
1 14 1/2 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons butter
 
DIRECTIONS
 
If using fresh mussels rinse and scrub with a veggie brush under cold water set aside
 
In a stockpot or Dutch oven saute the shallot in olive oil until soft
 
Then add the thyme and parsley
 
Add minced garlic give a stir then add the broth, wine and pepper flakes
 
Toss in the mussels and stir cover and cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes
or until shells are opened
 
Take cover off and add tomatoes and butter stir and cook another minute or so
until butter melts
 
Serve with plenty of crusty bread or garlic bread to sop up this tasty juice!
 
*NOTE........do not eat unopened mussels
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment