Home

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lentil Soup

I love Lentils!,,,they are pretty much a super food,,,packed with Protein, Iron and Fiber! This is a  great soup and the cumin in here gives it a great flavor,,,It takes a while to cook, but trust me it is worth the wait!!,,,,Enjoy! I also recently updated this recipe with Instant Pot directions if you want it ready in a flash!





INGREDIENTS

1-2 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion (diced)
4 carrots (diced)
3 celery ribs (diced)
1- 14 1/2 oz can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 Cups  dry Lentils, I used brown(rinsed and picked)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 bay leaf
8 Cups Beef broth 



DIRECTIONS

First place dry lentils in a colander,,,rinse and pick out any stems you may see (set aside)

saute onion carrot and celery until soft and onion is translucent

add tomatoes lentils and spices,,,,,,then pour in beef broth

Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for at least an hour,,,,stirring occasionally..
you can cover pot if you like
just give it a taste to make sure lentils are soft
remove bay leaf and enjoy!
(I sprinkled a tad more cumin in mine because I love the flavor!)
I also serve topped with parmesan cheese!

I recently bought an instant pot and just tried this recipe in it
I sauteed the onion, celery and carrots in 1 Tablespoon of butter  for about 10 minutes and then added the rest of the ingredients and pressure cooked for 8 minutes and then quick released after 12 minutes of the valve being closed and it was perfect!!


No comments:

Post a Comment